Saturday, June 21, 2008

River Birch: Site is Everything


This River Birch, Betula nigra, has been in my mind since I last saw it. I just couldn't get that amazing bark out of my head. But I say proceed with caution with this tree. Beauty is only skin deep here unless this tree is properly sited. It has an addiction to water, hence the common name, River Birch. Have a low spot in your yard where water seems to gather, well you better make sure it isn't anywhere near a concrete foundation or patio. The roots on this tree run close to the surface and it also grows amazingly fast. If you have the acreage and the small river, creek or pond, this is a beautiful tree. If not, you will find this tree will keep you busy picking up leaves and twigs long before autumn sets in. Without a constant watering hole, this tree will not flourish. After all, location, location, location refers not only to real estate but to plants as well.

No comments: